Obedience = “to hear” + “under”
Obedience means to listen first and it includes the idea of submission.
How do you define a good leader?
How can submission be a partnership?
- It’s about going somewhere, accomplishing something, together.
- God is perfect leader to partner with!
What hinders you from listening to God?
- From submitting to God?
- From trusting God’s leadership?
How do you sense God’s leadership?
- Little pressure, pressing, nudge in a direction? (Dance example)
- Pay attention to the pressure!
There is freedom in submission.
We can trust our ability to follow, without the fear of missing the nudge or step.
What signs indicate who you are following?
- Sometimes we need to slow down; we can’t hurry faster than the one we are following.
- Worry and anxiety are antithetical to trust and submission.
- It’s freeing to know that we don’t have to pull it off!!
- The work is to believe.
Psalm 37:5 “Give God the right to direct your life and in the end you’ll find that he pulled it off perfectly.”
Matthew 11:30 “For My yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
- Secrets of the Secret Place, Bob Sorge
- The Ruthless Elimination of Hurry, John Mark Comer
- The Life You’ve Always Wanted: Spiritual Disciplines for Ordinary People, John Ortberg